AP GRAMA PANCHAYAT ELECTIONS 2021 RO HAND BOOK DOWNLOAD – RETURNING OFFICERS HAND BOOK DOWNLOAD
For every election to fill the seats of Members and Sarpanch of Gram Panchayat, the District Election Authority shall appoint a Returning Officer for one or more Gram Panchayats, who shall be an officer of the State Government or a local authority.
- You will receive your appointment order as Returning Officer from the District Election Authority or from an officer authorised by him.
- For the purpose of appointment of Returning Officers, the election process of Gram Panchayats is divided into two stages, viz., Stage-I and Stage-II.
- The election process starting from the stage of publication of Election Notice under Rule 6 of Conduct of Election Rules and ending with the publication of List of Contesting Candidates for Members and Sarpanch of Gram Panchayat and allotment of symbols to them is called as Stage-I. The election process comprising of all other subsequent election process upto the conduct of the special meeting for election of Upa-Sarpanch is called as Stage-II.
- The District Election Authority or officer authorised by him appoints Returning Officers as indicated below:
- A Returning Officer may be appointed for a group of two to four contiguous minor Gram Panchayats to perform election process comprised in Stage-I, and another Returning Officer for each such Gram Panchayats to perform election process comprised in Stage-II.
- However, in respect of bigger Gram Panchayats having a population of not less than 10,000, a Returning Officer may be appointed exclusively to perform the functions comprised in both Stage-I and Stage-II.
Returning Officer (Stage-I):
- Issue of public notice of election under Rule 6 of Conduct of Election Rules.
- Receipt of nomination papers.
- Publication of list of nominations received.
- Scrutiny of nomination papers.
- Recording of reasons in brief for rejecting any nomination paper.
- Publication of list of validly nominated candidates.
- Receipt of notice of withdrawal of candidates.
- Publication of list of contesting candidates.
- Allotment of symbols to contesting candidates.
Returning Officer (Stage-II):
- Despatch of postal ballot papers and issue of EDC (Election Duty Certificate).
- Visiting the Gram Panchayat and inspecting the polling stations.
- Giving training to the polling staff allotted to Gram Panchayat.
- Establishing contact with the contesting candidates and political parties to ensure free, fair and smooth elections.
- Receiving the entire polling material required for conduct of elections to the office of Sarpanch and Members of Gram Panchayat from the distribution centre at the Mandal level and re-distribute the same to his Presiding Officers.
- Supervise the setting up of polling stations and other poll arrangements in his Gram Panchayats.
- Despatch of polling parties for the conduct of the poll and supply of election materials to them.
- Effective supervision of the poll and sending reports to the State Election Commission / Election Authority / District Election Authority.
- Counting of Votes.
- Declaration of result.
- Conduct of election of Upa-Sarpanch.
- Issue of certificates of elections to the elected candidates.
- Handing over of all sealed covers containing used and unused ballot papers and other stationery and prescribed covers to the election authority at Mandal level after completion of elections.
ASSISTANT RETURNING OFFICERS:
- The District Election Authority may appoint, one or more persons, as Assistant Returning Officers to assist any Returning Officer;
Provided that every such person shall be an Officer of the State Government or of a local authority.
- Every Assistant Returning Officer shall, subject to the control of the Returning Officer, be competent to perform all or any of the functions of the Returning Officer:
Provided that no Assistant Returning Officer shall perform any functions of the Returning Officer, which relate to the scrutiny of nominations, unless the Returning Officer is unavoidably prevented from performing such function.